The most difficult part about writing a web page is getting started. This page will help you create your first very simple HTML document for the world to see.
If you don't already have a people.emich.edu account, start out by getting one. You will also need to have a basic understanding of files and folders.
Also please be aware that these account have disk quotas. For how much space you have available please click on the Disk Quota link after you have created your account. The maximum number of files allowed for each account is 10,000 files.
The first thing you need is a secure file transfer protocol (SFTP) client. This server does not support regular file transfer protocol (FTP).
Windows should consider downloading FileZilla.
Power users should consider purchasing a commercial SFTP client, such as CuteFTP Pro
Mac users can download FileZilla or cyberduck for free,
or purchase Transmit.
Now you are ready to get started.
- Create a simple HTML document, and name it hello.html.
- Start a simple text editor, such as Notepad.
- Put the following in the file.
- Save the file as hello.html on your desktop.
- Establish an SFTP connection to people.emich.edu.
- If you installed the customized Secure Shell Suite for Windows, your SFTP client is FileZilla, and you only need to select people.emich.edu and enter your username and password. If you are using some other SFTP client, you may need to enter some of the following.
- Host: people.emich.edu
- Server Type: SFTP using SSH2 (Secure Shell)
- Port: 22
- Directory: (blank)
- Username: jdoe (replaced by your NetID username)
- Password: ****** (your NetID password)
- Click Connect, or OK.
- The first time you connect, your SFTP client may ask if you want to add people.emich.edu to your list of known hosts. Say yes.
- Drag hello.html to the server.
- Test view your page
- Start a web browser
- Go to http://people.emich.edu/jdoe/hello.html replacing jdoe with your NetID username.
- You should see: Hello, World!
Congratulations, you have published your first page for the world to see!
Setting a Default Page
A default page is simply a document that is returned to describe the contents (other documents, images, etc) stored in an area.
If you don't have a default page, the contents of your contents of your folder on people.emich.edu are displayed.
To make a page your default or front page, name the file index.html. That will then be the page people will see when they go to
people.emich.edu/jdoe (where jdoe is replaced by your username). Likewise, if you create a folder named hello and put a page in there
named index.html, that is the page people see when they go to people.emich.edu/jdoe/hello (where, again, jdoe is replaced by your username).
If you have having problems using FileZilla, please visit the FileZilla Mini-Guide for some helpful hints.
| Contact EMU | Site
Map | Directories
| Calendars | My.emich